|Pebble rocks in an old flower pot.|
I had pebble rocks, I had jars, BAM! I have an instant brush holder. I painted and it was AMAZING the difference a brush holder makes. And...I didn't have to spend a cent.
To the left you'll see mine. I had jars, but when I saw this flower pot (attached to my heart) just sitting there not being used I thought it to be perfect. The soup cup is my water dish. I really like finding things around the house to use instead of spending money. Plus, I think it gives your studio and table some character.
THE CAMLING HOUSE
I've painted bird houses in the past, and I wanted to give it another shot, doing a few things different this time.
I decided to use stencils first instead of painting randomly. I'm not very proficient in acrylic painting (and don't want to spend money on watercolor ground), so I have discovered keeping it simple is a good place to start.
I first did the blue paint. Once it was dried I sanded it down to give a worn and weathered look. All of the trim and petals came way later in the process. I then moved on to imagery. I sponged in the branches, which left a lot more paint than I intended around my stencil. Not loving it I attempted to cover it with another layer of paint. I painted on the birds using a new tool (that worked much better...a sponge on a stick). After they were dry I then went in and painted them with a brush to bring the intensity of their shape back.
Then came the detailing. I felt pretty confident with the direction and my imagination agreed. Things just started to come together. I kept thinking vintage, and the coral pinks went so well with the green blue. Reminded me of the old 3-D stop animation from the 70s (think Rudolph). I just started to add things that reminded me of Candace. A heart, the stripes, the line work around the hole which I thought looked like a large flower, etc.
Finally something needed to happen to the top. Brian and I discussed it and somehow somewhere I got the idea of doing a "cone" flower. lol It made me giggle but was so appropriate! So happy I did, because it brought the whole thing together!
All I did was glue on wooden shingle pieces I bought at Hobby Lobby for doll houses, then painted around. At this point I also learned of craft paint. Brian had some left over from college and it's amazing! Opaque like acrylic but more of a liquid. Much easier to work with! I then went crazy and brightened alllll of my whites. Totally made the piece pop! To finish, of course, the eyelet screw and a wee metal ball to decorate. I signed the bottom, added a yellow bow, and dropped it off.
Maybe when I retire (sheeeeah right) I'll make bird houses. ;)